Thursday, July 12, 2007

Unalienable (as long as you have a lawyer)

While I'm ranting about commercials...

I saw one for the State Bar of Georgia last night. I assume the point it was making was: Lawyers = good. But the idea behind it was patently ridiculous.

The commercial said that, without lawyers to defend it, the U.S. Constitution was just a piece of paper.

Not to split hairs, you know, like a lawyer or anything, but I don't think that's true. Allow me to quote from the Constitution itself:
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, dor ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States.

I skimmed the rest of it, and must have missed the part that said "You know, as long as there are lawyers. If there aren't, you can just use this as scrap paper to take phone messages on."

I guess I'll call the state bar to give them a chance to comment on this.

Furthermore your affiant sayeth not.

No comments: