Friday, November 20, 2009

It's time for a female mascot

Bill King has an interesting blog post up for The AJC based on Sonny Seiler's book on the mascot line, Damn Good Dogs!
There have been other subs besides Otto, though, and one of them was a real rarity. All the Ugas have been male and part of the same lineage, but in 1971, when Uga II was ailing, an unrelated brown and white female English bulldog named Bugga Lou that had been given to the Seiler family took Uga’s place for the South Carolina and Florida games, both wins. Bugga Lou wasn’t just an English bulldog, she actually hailed from England originally.
I didn't know that.

But as I've said here before, and I'll be proud to say again, at Georgia our women have always been the best of us. I'd be thrilled if Uga VIII became the university's first full-time female mascot.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a terrible idea

Brett said...

Maybe that would be a good idea if we were looking for a figure skating mascot.....moron.

Myrna said...

I love this idea! But I have the feeling I'm only one of a handful of girls that read your blog.

Lucid Idiocy said...

It's a National Title winning idea.

Lucid Idiocy said...

I have Joe on the phone: "Absolutely not," he says.

"The only thing I can say for your idea is those are crazy fucking dogs. A lot of times females, they're the tough ones. My homeboy, Little Dave, he's got those two American Staffordshire terriers, which basically means pit bulls,, but tehcnically they're not pit bulls because they're purely breed. The older one is Cecil, he's like two, and Lucy is one. And, Lucy, any time another dog comes to the party, she starts shit. And she can usually handle shit."

ME: That sounds awesome.

Nick said...

Travis, this may be the worst idea you have ever had.

After my conversation with Joe last night, I think he should be added to the search committee.