Saturday, March 13, 2010

Georgia basketball: Not so much better, as hopeful

It seems people are generally positive about the future of Georgia basketball, and I suppose I agree.

But, boy, the product on the floor this year was chock full of problems. Weak on rebounding**, weak on defense, weak on getting the ball down low.

Unable to put folks away, unable to win on the road and unable to focus, it seemed at times. Just generally weak, but with great dunking.

Baby steps, I guess.


Image: Georgiadogs.com.

Update from the comments (anonymous):
We went from a completely uncompetitive team last year to a team that was in almost every game we played this year. Yes, we lost a lot of close games, but you don't learn how to win those types of games, especially on the road, in just one season at a program that has been inept as Georgia's has in recent years. ...

Don't know where you get your comments about rebounding and getting the ball down low. I'm guessing you just watched a few games and decided now wasn't quite the right time to jump on the bandwagon. We were one of the better rebounding teams in the conference and our offensive execution was night and day compared to last year. We pretty much got any shot we wanted. ...

If we can keep Fox around for 10+ years, I promise you this program will finally start to reach the enormous potential that it has always had.
Hey, I didn't say I wasn't hopeful, I said I wasn't impressed.

**But the commenter is correct, Georgia was No. 2 in the SEC in rebound margin and No. 1 in defensive rebounding, if No. 7 in offensive rebounding, per secsports.com. I am quite honestly shocked by that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went from a completely uncompetitive team last year to a team that was in almost every game we played this year. Yes, we lost a lot of close games, but you don't learn how to win those types of games, especially on the road, in just one season at a program that has been inept as Georgia's has in recent years.

The team had some great wins vs the likes of GT, UF, UT, Vandy and Illinois. Guy like Thompkins and Leslie made huge strides and both are predicted by many so called experts to be first round NBA draft picks next year. The role players on the team improved as well.

Don't know where you get your comments about rebounding and getting the ball down low. I'm guessing you just watched a few games and decided now wasn't quite the right time to jump on the bandwagon. We were one of the better reboundng teams in the conference and our offensive execution was night and day compared to last year. We pretty much got any shot we wanted.

This team was one good perimeter player from being an NCAA tourney team...and that guy, transfer Gerald Robinson, practiced with the team all year and will be in the starting lineup next year. Having a starting backcourt consisting of a 5'10" poing guard and a former walk-on shooting guard would make it tough for anyone to win. That and a lack of depth were our achille's heels this year. We're losing two very marginal players and we'll be bringing in 2 transfers and 2 or 3 Frosh. With those extra bodies and the continued development of our returning players under Fox, we will be a very good team next year...no matter where we play.

This was not baby steps to anyone who was really paying attention. It's extremely difficult to go from being so bad that you fire your coach mid-year to a postseason team in one year. Look at what's going on at Indiana, a traditional basketball power...Tom Crean came in from Marquette and has gone 16-45 overall and 5-31 in the Big Ten in two seasons there.

If we can keep Fox around for 10+ years, I promise you this program will finally start to reach the enormous potential that it has always had.

Anonymous said...

Like I said, you obviously haven't been paying much attention throughout the season if you're mentioning rebounding as one of our major deficiencies. Our front line hasn't been the problem. It's the backcourt. The loss to Vandy in the SEC tourney is a perfect example. McPhee and Ware played 65 combined minutes and made 1 basket each. They were also completely overmatched on the defensive end by Beal and Jenkins.

Nick said...

Fox for SEC coach of the year!

Lucid Idiocy said...

Anonymous, I updated the post to say you're right. What more would you like?

And this: "If we can keep Fox around for 10+ years, I promise you this program will finally start to reach the enormous potential that it has always had."

Is that really your plan? 10-plus years and we start to reach our potential?

Aim high.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that singular brand. The prices as regards the shoes are around 340 pounds on every page. But for all I found this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good morning fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices for the boots were approximately 190 dollars on every page. But definitively I found this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hello people. I'm really into shoes and I have been searching allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices as regards the sneakers are around 210 pounds everwhere. But finally I bring about this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Georgia has a basketball team?

Does anyone know where I can get some shoes?