Sunday, August 21, 2011

"Opinions were mixed on Saturday ..."

The media coverage of Saturday's Pro Combat uniform debut provides several examples of one of my least favorite newspaper traditions: The public reaction story.

Basically, this story assignment translates to "go out, talk to like 5 people, and write what the public thinks about something." At the heart of this practice seems to be a belief that the reader needs to know what a handful of random people think, generally on a subject they know little about.

And despite a number of newspaper headlines telling you how much fans hate the Pro Combat uniforms, I can assure you that's not true. Fans have mixed opinions on these uniforms. People always have mixed opinions on things.

Hell, people can't even come to a consensus on what color the new helmets are. UGA and Nike say they're silver. The Banner-Herald says they're gray. The Macon Telegraph somehow determined that they're white.

There are fans who hate these uniforms. There are fans who like these uniforms. There are fans in the middle. You don't have any idea what the actual split is.

Me, I like them, for one game. I think they'd look better with black pants, though.

Update: The Telegraph changed its helmet description, going with "silver and red."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like everything about the Ga Dawgs except when they lose. If they win, it matters not what they wear. I'm a FAN--no matter what!

Anonymous said...

Random question....

How do you make your hyperlinks open in a new tab??

Lucid Idiocy said...

It's simple, but I can't show you the code here in the comments. You add target="_blank" to the end of the html code for links, between the last " and the > in the code, just before the words that appear as the link.

If that doesn't make sense you can email me at ctfain at yahoo.com

j.leonardjr said...

I wish the pants were silver to be in line somewhat with the pre-1964 uniforms. Didn't they feature silver helmets and pants?

I am not a fan of the red on red.

Speaking of red...to me the slogan "Spread the red" is much worse than the uniforms. Sounds like a bad sexual reference or something to do with an STD.

Lucid Idiocy said...

You know, it didn't strike me that way before, but now that you mention it ... it's all I can think of. Terrible slogan.