Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The case of the missing title flags

I noticed Saturday that the 1942 and 1980 National Title flags weren't flying in their usual place over the eastern stands of Sanford Stadium. Apparently I'm the only one who cared, because I didn't see any coverage in the local papers.













So I called down to the Sports Information Department, who put me in touch with Charley Whittemore, assistant athletic director for facilities.

And given that he spells his first name just like Charley Trippi, and the fact that he has the keys to America's only perfect stadium, I'm going to go ahead and name him the luckiest man in the world.

But I digress. Whittemore said that, when they went to run the title flags up the flagpole, the rope broke. Probably dry rot, he said. They're trying to get a new rope installed and hope to have the flags flying on Saturday when South Carolina comes calling.

1 comment:

joe p said...

You're a regular Sherlock Holmes