Monday, October 29, 2007

More on the celebration

Sportswriting machine David Ching has a transcription of some of Richt's comments up on his blog:
... so I told them after that Vandy game, ‘We’re gonna liven this thing up. We’re gonna create some excitement here. The way we’re gonna do it is when we score that first touchdown in the Florida game, we’re gonna celebrate.’ I said, ‘As a matter of fact, if you guys don’t get a celebration penalty, I’m gonna be upset with y’all and I’m gonna run y’all.’ That’s kinda how it started. As the two weeks went on, I could sense that some of the guys who might possibly score were starting to get their little idea of how they were gonna celebrate to get this penalty. I kinda was sensing that it was gonna be some kinda individual act that I didn’t want to happen. So the day of the game, right before we left the hotel, I spoke to the group right after our chapel service and I said, ‘I want to make sure we all understand thing thing here. This celebration thing is a team thing. I don’t want any individual to do anything off on his own because I guarantee there’s 10 other guys that helped him get in there. Plus there was probably a defensive play that probably helped you get in position and there’s probably a bunch of scout teamers who didn’t dress for this game that also helped you get here by preparing everybody these last two weeks. So it’s not an individual thing, it’s a team thing. I said I want you to understand, this is gonna be a team thing, I want a team celebration and I want it to happen only once.

No comments: